Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Phantom (and first) Hole in One!

My dad, Bob, got his first hole-in-one a year or so ago at Laconia Country Club, NH on the par 3, 5th hole during an unusual round of golf by himself. He sure got a lot of guff when he told the boys back at the 19th!

Anyway, my brother calls that his "Phantom Hole-in-one."

Well, as my dad said, "I guess it runs in the family", because the same happened to me yesterday, four days before Halloween, and three days before my 52nd birthday.

I got my phantom hole-in-one on the175 yard, par 3, 2nd hole at Mill Valley Golf Club, CA playing by myself.

Here's the story:

I thought I had used too much club,a 19 degree hybrid, but I knew I hit it well. I think I took my eye off it for a second and then happened to notice that it had landed right in front of the hole. Then the ball rolled a bit and seemed to disappear. It was 175-180 yards away so I had to do a double-take and there was no ball on the green, so I knew then that it had gone in.

I yelled "Hole in one!" And various hooting and hollering. Later the pro asked me what I was yelling about and he kind of had guessed it. I took pictures of the hole from the tee-box.

I was very excited.

Later I felt very satisfied that I had achieved this milestone. It's a bit strange that I had done it by myself without any witnesses, but it doesn't matter much. Golf is such a personal, individual experience. I actually like playing by myself a lot of the time, especially at MV because it's a special, beautiful place.





October 27, 2015 10am

No comments:

Post a Comment